Monday, November 8, 2010

Apple Slaw (with almonds, craisins and apricot mustard vinaigrette)

I've been looking at fall recipes lately and this one caught my eye.  I saw it on a few blogs and it always made me curious--a slaw with some sort of crunchy nut, a juicy dried fruit and a sweet and tangy dressing.  Almost like a dessert slaw!  I love cabbage, it brightens up sandwiches, salads and tacos and I always like finding a new use for it.  I would make a few changes to this recipe, but I definitely recommend try it out--I bet it would make a good addition to the Thanksgiving table!

Start with:
1 tart green apple
1 head of green/napa cabbage or a prepared mix (fresher always tastes better, but this is all I had on hand today)
Grain Mustard
Apricot preserves (I initially bought this for ChickenDorisGordon but haven't had a chance to make it yet---don't worry grandma, I'm going to do it soon and tell you all about it!
Nuts: sliced almonds are super cheap at Trader Joe's, but I've seen pecans or walnuts in similar recipes (either candied or plain) and they look like they'd taste just as good
Olive Oil and Vinegar
 

FYI: while the grain mustard is really cheap at Trader Joes (about $1.50) but I honestly would go with a different brand--I found this mustard to be really lacking in flavor.

Start by cutting up the apple into small sticks.  If you have a mandoline I'm sure that makes it much easier but the old fashioned way works just as well!
 For the dressing put 2 tablespoons of the apricot preserves, honey and grain mustard into a bowl and mix.  I also put a touch of olive oil and red wine vinegar.  If you have it, I'd use apple cider vinegar or any other sweeter flavored vinegars.
Toss the dressing, apples and slaw together and add in: nuts of your choice and dried fruit of your choice.  I put in both craisins and golden raisins and I thought they were delicious together.
Mix well!  Add vinegar to taste.
 Eat!



Enjoy =)  Upon reflection, I found the dish a little too sweet so I would play around with the proportions a bit.  Try a stronger mustard and a little less honey.  Maybe some more vinegar too.  Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment