Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fruity-Tutti Guacamole

Last year I went to this delicious Mexican restaurant in midtown called Toloache.  I remember enjoying a great drink and delicious food, but what truly stuck out in my mind was this amazing (and quite expensive) guacamole that they make fresh to order.  The guacamole is so deceptively simply--filled with chunks of fresh fruit--that it makes you mad that you never thought to put fruit in with your avocados before!  I mean, I can't believe I spent my life up to this point without fruit guacamole.  AND I can't believe I shelled out $12 for a scoop of guacamole that cost under half that to re-create myself.  

This recipe is good to make as an appetizer for a bigger group because you have to buy all of the fruit for it, might as well make a larger batch and share

What you'll need (makes enough for 2-3 people)
2 avocados
1 lemon
1/2 mango
1/2 gala apple
5 ish strawberries (or if you can find pomegranate, this is preferable but unfortunately out of season here in NY!)
s+p
*basil optional--great addition if you have it around

Simply chop!
Mango trick I learned from Paula:
Score the top of the mango
Flip inside out to easily cut chunks of mango (sorry for the poor picture taking here)
Lightly mash the avocado with a fork
Mix together
Add s+p and juice of 1 lemon
 
 Enjoy immediately!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, looks delicious; I'll have to try this some time next week. And it's no big deal, but if you keep the avocado core in the guac it helps it stay fresh.

    ReplyDelete