Friday, July 8, 2011

Tasty Dumpling Review

For those who know me, it will come as no shock that I am blogging today about a place called Tasty Dumpling.  In fact, it's a shocker that it's taken me this long to blab about how much I love Chinese food in general.  After enjoying something just so delicious today, I just felt it was time to let everyone in on what I have been enjoying so much.  While I live uptown, I have an internship this summer that lands me right next to Chinatown 3 days a week.  This is heaven for me.  While I'd love to go out for a Chinese feast every day, adventure and frugality has led me to some cheaper, and very tasty restaurants, kiosks and hole in the walls that really have pleasantly surprised me.  
I really like dumplings, so when I saw a hole in the wall called "Tasty Dumpling" right by my office, (located at 54 Mulberry St, between Mosco & Bayard) I had to try it.  Unfortunately, when I went for the first time, the dumplings really were not good.  In fact, I don't think I even finished my 5 for $1.25 portion which has never happened in my life.  I don't know what made me go back a second time, but I think I was somewhat intrigued by the other items on its rather limited menu.  On this second trip, I decided to try the pork and cabbage pancake.  I assumed it would be something like pork and cabbage sandwiched between two scallion pancakes, but I was willing to eat pork, cabbage and pancake in any combination.  What came out surprised me, as I had never seen anything like it before, even after a summer studying in Beijing.  It looked like a disc with a  flat, chewy, golden, almost english-muffin like exterior, stuffed with onion-y, moist ground pork and cabbage.  Oh my.  It was fantastic.  And $1.50.  How can you beat that?  So, if you're downtown and need a very quick and very cheap bite (and you're not near Prosperity Dumplings on Eldridge Street) head on over to Tasty Dumplings for some porky goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment