Monday, October 18, 2010

Hannah's Brownies


Another celebrity post by my fellow law student, Hannah...Enjoy!


Another Friday, another long week of first semester law school behind me. What better way to reward myself than with a quick and easy recipe for ooey, gooey brownies?! And here's all it took...

I picked up some brownie batter mix and chocolate frosting mix at my favorite supermarket on the UWS, Trader Joe's. The best thing about this brownie mix is that it is "reduced guilt." But seriously, one look at the nutrition facts and you know at 130 calories per brownie, you cannot go wrong.
Ingredients for the Brownies:

1 box of Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Brownie Mix
Skim Milk
3 tablespoons of Skippy's Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter

I combined the pre-made dry mix with skim milk (instead of fat-free plain yogurt like the box instructions said). This is mainly because I did not have plain yogurt on hand, but also because I knew I was going to add some richness to the batter with peanut butter. I carefully stirred together all of the ingredients by hand. An electric mixer would have worked just as well, if not even better.
Once I had sprayed my baking pan, I poured in the rich brownie mixture and set it to bake  at 350 degrees. When I saw the brownie slowly rising and I was able to pull out a clean fork with no bits of batter, I knew I had achieved brownie heaven!

Ingredients for the Chocolate Frosting:

1 box of Trader Joe's Chocolate Frosting Mix
Hot Water
Unsalted Butter
(proportions are written out on the back of the frosting box)

I was super excited to whip up this frosting. Chocolate frosting would be the perfect, decadent topping to my brownies. This box mix was quick and easy to combine. All I had to do was soften the butter, heat up some water, and combine with the package mix. I stirred and stirred until everything was smooth and glossy.

When the brownie was starting to smell up my apartment with all kinds of deliciousness, I removed the pan from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. I then carefully frosted the brownie and let it sit for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the frosting had hardened sufficiently to cut into it. Finally, using a clean knife, I cut small squares out of the pan and dusted my little brownie treats with powdered sugar. Bon appetite!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment