Monday, January 10, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

So I haven't posted in quite a while due to finals and well, more finals.  Thankfully, I made it through first semester, but barely, I have to do a better job actually making those good-to-reheat recipes I kept blabbing about!
While I didn't have the chance to cook that often, I do have a few recipes that I've made pretty quickly while studying so I'll post them over the next few days to catch up.  
This recipe is awesome because it basically helps fight what I hate most--throwing away food I never got a chance to eat.  I love tomatoes but I often don't get to eat the whole carton before they get a little mushy.  This recipe basically calls for those tomatoes that are on the verge of being not good anymore and extends their life by one more week.  Plus, while the pictures look kind of meh,  they tasted pretttttyyy delicious.  
Throw these tomatoes in salads, on top of bread with melted cheese, on sandwiches or really, anything.  
All you have to do is cut up whatever tomatoes you have one hand. Fresh ones work too, but I love fresh tomatoes so much I probably wouldn't use them.
Drizzle them with olive oil, a touch of sea salt and a few herbs of your choice.
Scatter garlic cloves throughout the pan.
Preheat the oven to about 225 degrees.
Stick the tomatoes in for about 3 hours, checking on them towards the end to make sure they don't burn (bigger chunks probably won't burn in 3 hours though, although my cherry tomato halves began to burn)
When you take them out, they should be sweet, and a little juicy on the inside.


True, these don't look like the tastiest morsels but they are awesome--a little salty, garlicky, sweet and chewy!
To keep them for the next week, put them in a jar covered with olive oil and the garlic cloves.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment